Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gyu-kaku Japanese BBQ

A friend suggested Gyu-kaku for their happy hour menu. Never been to this restaurant before so was excited to try out the BBQ meats. Went there around 3pm and the restaurant wasn't busy at all, easy to grab a table during this time. I heard from the waitress that during peak times, waits can be very long.


My friend and I decided to randomly order from the happy hour menu and see how the food is. There is a $15 minimum charge per person so we had to order at least $30 of food before taxes.


The restaurant and seating was very comfortable and clean. The waitress was very friendly and attentive. She asked if it was our first time to the restaurant and explained how the menu worked, offered recommendations for different items on the menu, and showed us how to cook the meats.

 
We got the Bistro Harami, Chuck Kalbi, Pork Belly, and the Garlic Mushrooms. I can't remember which picture was which one, but the three meats were absolutely delicious. There were three different sauces that you could dip, a spicy, sweet, and forgot the last one. But even eating the meats without any sauces was delicious because they were so juicy. The mushrooms was actually a wrong order, but I didn't want the waitress to have to bring them back, so we kept them; mushrooms are not my favourite food... but they tasted good grilled and with the garlic.

t
The Takoyaki was my least favourite out of the items. It just didn't have that much texture, the octopus inside the ball was not bouncy in the mouth. I also didn't like the temperature the dish came in, I did not like that it was lukewarm.


Now for my three favourite dishes. The Chicken Karrage, Fried Garlic Noodles, and Spicy Tuna Maki. The Chicken Karrage was very crispy and the meat was soft and smooth. I especially liked how they also had the fried chicken skin which was like eating potato chips.
For the Fried Garlic Noodles, it came in a sizzling hot stone bowl, and the noodles themselves were filled with garlic taste and delicious. Only con? left a garlic taste in my mouth for a few hours... lol.
My favourite dish in the whole meal was the Spicy Tuna Maki. It came with square pieces of seaweed to wrap the rice and tuna inside the eat, sort of like a tortilla. The tuna was just the right level of spicy, and had a refreshing cool temperature. The rice was soft and sticky, like sushi rice. The seaweed was crispy. All together = delicious :)
Excellent meal, and will come again!


Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment